Sunday, February 22, 2009

Life is good…and short, write your Eulogy.

This week for school one of my assignments for a religion class was to write your own eulogy. Hang on. Yes, I know it sounds morbid and depressing…perhaps even a little vain. But the experience was pretty profound. Somehow the process started out like a pretty bleak assignment regarding death. We are not wired to naturally think of our own deaths. But somehow the experience became not this snapshot paper on death but a guide to LIVING. Life is good if you let it be. Life is short and you only get one shot…what do you want your life to have been about? I know one thing, it opened my eyes to what I don't want my life to be about. Yet, somehow I let that stuff creep in. The shot above is a picture of my boys sitting on a friends dock awhile back. This picture caught them just sitting next to each other, being still, truly enjoying each other's company on a warm summer day. This photo makes me wish that years from now I'll see them again like this. Maybe as men with families of their own, perhaps as even old men with years and years behind them and a mother that has passed on. Someday I'll go to my forever home; my journey will be complete. The only thing in my life that will live on will be my children. It is my hope that they will always stay close and love one another. There are few things in life that we work for that lives on when we are gone. Part of my eulogy taught me that I want to spend part of my life working towards that goal; helping my children foster relationships and a love for each other.

No comments: