Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Butterfly Room

IMG_4210Warning: Once again this post contains a lot of photos!  This room required an extra ticket inside the Museum of Science.  I wasn’t going to do it as we already had so much to see.  But like I mentioned in my last post we were freezing and the butterfly room was WARM and a great place to get our cloths to dry.  What I didn’t expect was the experience we would have there!  It was so worth it.  I loved having the experience with my children but would have loved to go back through without my little rovers so that I could capture the beauty of each and every butterfly.  I only had a second to focus in and snap a picture of them as my littlest rover couldn’t keep his hands off of them.  And it was a NO TOUCH zone.  =) 

IMG_4153IMG_4259  IMG_4162 IMG_4164 IMG_4166

Don’t they look like Owls? IMG_4175 IMG_4177 IMG_4181 IMG_4186

Benny did slow down to look at the view.  I told the woman working this room I thought she had the best job ever!  Surrounded by beauty!!!!  She was such a sweet lady; my kids had to be reminded several times not to touch and she didn’t get angry she only enjoyed how enamored they all were by them!IMG_4199  IMG_4212  IMG_4214

{They also had a fish tank with some pretty neat fish} IMG_4227 IMG_4231 IMG_4233 IMG_4238 IMG_4241 IMG_4248

IMG_4342  IMG_4263 IMG_4268  This one was Jake’s favorite!

IMG_4276  This was my favorite.IMG_4285 IMG_4318 IMG_4323 IMG_4325  IMG_4327  IMG_4330 

IMG_4386 IMG_4343 IMG_4344 IMG_4345  IMG_4347  IMG_4349  IMG_4352IMG_4379 

We also spent time in a little room that they use as a green house to grow the plants the butterflies need in their habitat! 

 IMG_4356

 IMG_4277

This was such a great time!  Natalie has asked me to print some of her favorites for her “butterfly room” at home.  She keeps referring to them as the butterfly team.  =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Joy,
When I began looking (I began at the top) at your amazing butterfly photos I thought you were in Philadelphia! Then I saw the images of Boston through Ben's window!
I must say that your photos should be sent to the Museum of Science, for they are incredible! Really and truly!
You have opened up my eyes to a new destination--the Museum of Science in Boston. I first went in the 8th grade and then years ago, but now that I have Grandchildren...it would be so much fun. I can understand that an entire day can be spent there!
Again, fantastic photos! Still wondering how/why it is not handicap accessible though.

Anonymous said...

leJoy,I'm thinking the same thing that Mary Ann mentioned. I can picture them in a nature magazine! You should send them to the Museum of Science.
Grammy Ann

Unknown said...

Mary Ann,

Yes, we went to Boston! Mike had a week long training seminar there for work so the kids and I couldn't pass up a free hotel in downtown Boston! It was challenging as I was on my own with them from 8-5 each day. The Museum of Science T stop doesn't have an elevator. Not sure why? Maybe I should have gotten off another stop. But it was my first day there and I hadn't rode the T in about a decade so I had a hard time figuring it out that day!

And yes, go to the Museum of Science! Your family would LOVE it!!! It was free for us (so was the Boston Children's Museum) as it is reciprocal with our local museum where we are members! Two great places I would love to visit again...you should totally go! However, the Boston Childrens Museum was very crowded! Lots of camps there so I don't suggest going in the summer! Pictures and post to come on that soon!

Thanks Grammy Ann! Maybe I will send them in. But I am sure they have hundreds. But I could say this is what one mom saw with her four kiddos and no special lighting or magnifying. It was truly worth it to see so many, so close!

=)