Tuesday, August 11, 2009

MOPS Retreat 2009-2010

The first night was full of learning and a lot of FUN! As I am still recovering I wasn't sure about going. But then I realized I am going to be sitting at home...why not sit there? Several ladies offered me a ride to and from the event and I gladly accepted as I knew I was not up for sleeping on the floor...that's just pushing it! I am so glad I did go! It took my mind of the pain and I don't think I could have had anymore fun, anywhere else! I am so blessed to be a part of MOPS. I know the idea of leadership is about serving and honoring Him. But each time I meet with these ladies I feel a little bit more blessed and walk away feeling a little more clarity on LIFE. How terrific it is to walk through motherhood with women who not only share your season of struggles but share the same FAITH!

Friday night we talked a lot about elevating your leadership. "To raise Your Gaze" and consider who God is calling you to reach out to. We also talked about a lot of myths in regard to using your strengths. It was fascinating to hear that research shows that only 12% of our time is spent working on our strengths! As we grow our personality does not change; yet we become more and more of ourselves. HMMMM.... We also grow most in our areas of strength. Therefore, a great leader uses her strengths to meet team needs. Therefore, many of us waste time trying to "work on our weaknesses" when in actuality it would be more valuable to take that time and work on developing and honing our God given strengths.

We then talked a lot about developing our strengths. This of course is of great interest to me and is something I hope to go back and delve into a little further. As moms I think we have a tendency to put aside what makes us "tick." We put our strengths and skills aside on some imaginary shelf waiting to be pulled out and put to use when our children grow up and we can go back to being "us" again.

Personally, as someone who had kids very young I never really worked on finding my true talents. So this type of thinking can be a little scary! But that's just a whole other post now isn't it?

The thing is the night was very inspiring and I thank steering for taking the time to put this together! Hopefully, each one of us will now take the time to look into these thoughts a little further. For in the end: We each have unique talents. What we are good at God wants us to do! And...we each have unique opportunities for influence!

Christine had some wonderful team building games planned for us that brought us all together...literally. We started with a spool of ribbon and as she asked us some very intriguing questions we passed the spool and found out about one another...truly forming a "connection."
And of course who could forget Timmy. He was so cute moving over to "kiss" the other babies. He even put on a show for us with a water bottle. I truly can't wait to see what this kid is like ten years from now! He's not even a year old and can make a room full of ladies erupt with laughter. =)

No comments: